Translator Code of Conduct
American Translators Association Code of Ethics
As a member of the American Translators Association, I subscribe to ATA’s translator code of conduct and accept as my ethical and professional duty to:
- convey meaning between people and cultures faithfully, impartially and accurately;
- hold in confidence any privileged, sensitive and/or confidential information entrusted to me in the course of my work;
- represent my qualifications, capabilities and responsibilities honestly, and to work always within them;
- enhance those capabilities at every opportunity through continuing education in language, subject field, and professional practice;
- act collegially by sharing knowledge and experience;
- define in advance by mutual agreement, and abide by, the terms of all business transactions with others;
- to ask for and offer due recognition of my work, and compensation commensurate with my abilities; and
- endeavour in good faith to resolve any dispute that arises from my professional interactions.
Chartered Institute of Linguists Code of Professional Conduct
As a Chartered Linguist (MCIL), I subscribe to the Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Code of Professional Conduct. CIoL’s Translator Code of Conduct:
- defines best Turkish English / English Turkish translation practices that I, as an English Turkish translator, adhere;
- provides me with a framework for making ethical decisions in my English Turkish translation business as a Chartered Linguist;
- fosters good professional relationships between my freelance translation business and my clients as well as with other professionals;
- protects me and my clients.
Full text of the Translator Code of Conduct can be accessed via the following link: Chartered Institute of Linguists Code of Professional Conduct.