Following is a summary of American Translators Association’s Code of Ethics (Translator Code of Conduct) that I subscribe to.
American Translators Association Code of Ethics
As a member of American Translators Association, I accept as my ethical and professional duty to:
- convey meaning between people and cultures faithfully, impartially and accurately;
- hold in confidence any privileged, sensitive and/or confidential information entrusted to me in the course of my work;
- represent my qualifications, capabilities and responsibilities honestly, and to work always within them;
- enhance those capabilities at every opportunity through continuing education in language, subject field, and professional practice;
- act collegially by sharing knowledge and experience;
- define in advance by mutual agreement, and to abide by, the terms of all business transactions with others;
- to ask for and offer due recognition of my work, and compensation commensurate with my abilities; and
- endeavor in good faith to resolve any dispute that arises from my professional interactions.
Chartered Institute of Linguists Code of Professional Conduct
As a Chartered Linguist (MCIL), I subscribe to Chartered Institute of Linguists’ Code of Professional Conduct. CIoL’s Translator Code of Conduct:
- defines best Turkish English / English Turkish translation practices that I, as an English Turkish translator, adhere;
- provides me with a framework for making ethical decisions in my English Turkish translation business as a Chartered Linguist;
- fosters good professional relationships between my freelance translation business and my clients as well as with other professionals;
- protects me and my clients.
Full text of the Translator Code of Conduct can be access via the following link: